Author Topic: First big ride  (Read 6340 times)

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
  • TiredLess Rider
First big ride
« on: January 31, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • The first time to hit the road on a bike is a scary thing if you have never done it before.I was 18 and rode to San Antonio TX from Cincinnati OH on a '70 650 Yamaha(nakid)..about 1200 miles one way.I learned a lot!!!!!!!!! HAVE A GOOD RAIN SUIT AND BRING SOME EXTRA CLOTHES!!! It might be warm where you are at but as you travel around the country even in summer it can get chilly at night or in the mountains and along the ocean.Keeping warm and dry is my biggest advice I can give...you gotta stay comfortable while riding.
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    Re: First big ride
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 12:44:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • Two other things I thought of,take lots of pictures and keep a journal. Yeah yeah I know you will remember this trip and where you were at but 10 years down the line no you won't.Just a couple of thoughts:-)
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 03:17:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well talking to another rider yesterday he told me how it was around 90 during his ride to The Blue Ridge Parkway and near 30 the next morning in his tent........you can't over dress, you can strip down but if it turns cold and wet you better have the clothes packed somewhere.
    To me this is one trip killer to be cold and wet so I am repeating myself I know to any first time long distance riders be prepared.
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Offline Eggmandingo

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • I would like to add a spare inner tube if you have tubed tires.  My first long trip was in '91 from Colorado Springs to Phoenix.  If you get a flat tire away from the larger cities you may have to wait for a spare inner tube...not to mention the shipping rate....don't ask how I found this out   :'(

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments