Author Topic: Calgary to Los Angeles and back.  (Read 617 times)

Offline JamesA

• Roaming America Member
  • Your Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Calgary to Los Angeles and back.
« on: July 10, 2016, 03:29:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • Planning my first big trip and I'm looking for any advice and tips so things go smoothly and enjoyably. I've never done anything like this before so I'm actually a little anxious. I have three weeks off work starting 20 August and I have a brother living in LA who may or may not be able to put me up for a few days (complicated  :-\)

So the plan is to drive down the the west coast/pacific coast Highway and head back via Yellowstone. I'm thinking that I will try finding accommodation when I reach various destinations as opposed to booking in advance. Is this unwise? I'll be bringing all the necessary gear for camping but will stay in motels as needed.

• Is it unwise to look for accommodation upon reaching various destinations?
    • What will the weather be like late August/early September? How should I prepare?
    • Anyone suggest specific locations along the way that I should definitely take in?

I'm hoping I can use this discussion to prepare over the next few weeks.
    Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

James
    KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    Re: Calgary to Los Angeles and back.
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:45:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi James!
    Nope! Looking for a place stay at the end of the day is normal to me, probably to many people.
    That's what we call, adventure!:)
    It will hot mostly in August, but that doesn't mean you will not get some rain and freezing temp at some place.
    Bring clothes for all weather, rainsuit is a must!
    Have fun and ride safe!
    Nick
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    Re: Calgary to Los Angeles and back.
    « Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 11:21:05 AM »
  • Publish
  • James..as Nick said the weather does change at times so rain and cold are a good possibility.
    Yellowstone will most likely be VERY busy from what I have seen.National Parks are really advertising this year so plan ahead if you can.I have never planned any stops but now days it might be wise to check ahead at a motel or camp ground.
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments