Author Topic: Ride Across America - 17 days, 8600 miles, IBA50CC Lots of National Parks  (Read 717 times)

Offline Upstate NY Peter

• Roaming America Member
  • Your Location: Voorheesville
I  enjoyed a nice ride across America on my Suzuki VStrom and want to write down the details of the trip, so looks like this may be as good a place as any.

I'll give  a brief description here, then when I have some time I'll add the details and pictures of the ride. Long story short, it was awesome.

I started at home in Upstate NY, headed south to jacksonville FL where I took a right and 2 days (46 hours) later was on the West Coast in San Diego.

The daily rides were as follows:

Day 1 - Albany NY to Assateague Island, Virginia

Day 2 - Assateague Isalnd over the Chesapeake bay bridge/tunnels to Jacksonville FL.

Day 3 - Chill in jacksonville and prep for the enxt 2 days.

Day 4 - Jacksonville (Beach) Fl to Ozona, Texas (1305 miles)

Day 5 - Ozona Texas to San Diego Ca (1050 miles)

Day 6 - San Diego CA, Ortega Highway (mountains), Angeles Crest Highway, Angeles National Forest (NF), Mohave (Camp at Red Rock Park)

Day 7 - Mohave to Sequoia National Park (NP), Yosemite NP (Camped on Merced river in Yosemite Valley)

Day 8 - Tour Yosemite Valley, Glacier point (at sunrise), Tioga Pass, Mono Lake, Inyo NF,  Lake Tahoe, to Fernley NV (West side of Rte 50, Americas Loneliest Highway)

Day 9 - Fernley Nevada to Ely, Nevada (Rte 50), hung a right took a  40 mile dirt road shortcut, to Zion NP (Camped)

Day 10 - 6 mile hike in the narrows in Zion NP, rode to North Rim of Grand Canyon (thru Kaibab NF) - camped.

Day 11 - Grand Canyon to Monument Valley, Four Corners to Mesa Verde NP (Camped)

Day 12 - toured Mesa Verde, up San Juan Skyway, thru Telluride  to Ouray where I soaked in the hot springs, Million Dollar Highway, Wolf Creek pass to Great Sand Dunes National Monument (Camped)

Day 13 - Great Dunes NM to Dodge City (Boothill Museum), to Oklahoma City.

Day 14 - Oklahoma City, Ozarks, Sun Studio in memphis, to nashville.

Day 15 - Nashville to Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, Foot Hills Parkway, Steak dinner in gatlinburgh,  Newfoudn Gap (Smoky's), to about 50 miles onto the Blue Ridge parkway.

Day 16 - 505 miles on the Blue ridge parkway and Skyline Drive to Front Royal VA.

Day 17-  Front Royal VA, to Scranton PA where I had lunch with my daughter who was in college there at the time, Delaware Water Gap, Hawks nest, up route 30 to home in upstate NY.

Day 18 - Well, it was Monday so I rode y bike to the office as I had to work.

I did this ride in 2012 on my 2012 Suzuki DL650 VStrom, I was 49 at the time. At the time I am writing this, it is now May 2016, I am 53, and I've put about 70,000 miles on that VStrom so far...  rode to Glacier NP last summer, but that is a different story.

I'll post more, along with pics here soon.

-Peter

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
  • TiredLess Rider
  • Your Location: S. Florida
Damn!
What a trip, Peter!
I hope I will be on the road to CA and Sturgis within 2 more months.;)
For sure, please share some pix. You can set up your own free photo album and upload right here, or just just attach directly to the post.
Have fun and ride safe.
Nick
2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline Upstate NY Peter

• Roaming America Member
  • Your Location: Voorheesville
Thanks bud, it was a great ride...

Pics below
- Heading to Angeles Crest Highway
- Sierra Way, north of Mohave, on the way to Sequoia NP
-  Route 50 Nevada
- Tioga Pass (Yosemite NP)
- Mono Lake, Nevada
- Monument Valley, Utah
- Assateague Island, VA
- San Diego CA

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
  • TiredLess Rider
  • Your Location: S. Florida
Thanks so much for sharing all the nice photos.
I wish I can jump on my bike and cross the country tomorrow. ;D
2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors