Author Topic: whats your opinion  (Read 1401 times)

Offline jerseyjohnny

• Roaming America Member
  • Your Location: central nj
whats your opinion
« on: December 06, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • HI
     I'm a 52yr old male who rode in my teens and early 20's. Stopped riding after marriage and a few kids.Have been riding pretty steady for the past ten years and having a blast.
      I came across this site and it looks really interesting as I have some thoughts of getting to some long trips before my body falls completely apart.I'm sure I'll be posting for some advice real soon. Right now I'd like to get some opinions from what I'd refer to as real bikers,those who have put on a lot of miles in the saddle. My 25 yr old son, who is a licensed motorcyclist, is planning on buying a mid sized cafe racer style bike on the West coast and riding it back to NJ. Though he is a licensed rider he has absolutely no experience on a bike on the road or off.Took a day long class to get his license and has been on my Roadstar in a parking lot a couple of times. Now I love the idea of taking some trips with my kid in the future but o-:-h I'm kinda not thrilled about him doing this so soon and have said so.  Who listens to their dad? Apparently no one. Just wondering if I'm being a stuffed shirt and "loosing my nerve". What do you think?

JP

Offline nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    Re: whats your opinion
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 06:59:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome JP!
    Firstly, you are not old at all as the way you've stated. :)
    Everyone in this site knows that I cross the country from FL to CA and back to FL every year, and I will be 60 soon. ;D
    It's just in the head my friend.  About your son, he'll be fine. That's how we've all learned, haven't we?
    The only advice that I may have to your son is taking time and expect the unexpected.  On the any long trip, some items are always "required", such as rain suit, helmet (prefer full face), warm clothes, and some kind of road service, such as AAA.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Ride safe and have fun
    Nick
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome to the site.
    Take any time to ride with your son that you can.
    A cafe style bike cross country,wow. But just think back when we were young:-)
    He needs to ride around the familiar roads where he lives to really get the hang of it,after that go for it.
    Maybe a riders course for him,alot of people suggest them.I never did but I don't think they had them 45 years ago:-)
    One thing,I ride as if no one sees me,you could be at a blind spot in a car or trucks view.Or they plain out right don't see you.

1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Offline YO BRO

• BIKES ARE GREAT ! BEER IS GOOD ! AND THE ROAD IS CRAZY !
    • Senior Dude
    • Roaming America Member
    • Your Location: STATEN ISLAND N.Y.
    « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi JP,
    My son is 25 and you cant tell him shit !! You should know , you were there once.
    As far as riding a cafe racer from cali to nj ..I say let him do it..if your going to do it on a racer , the time to do it would be in your twenties.That will be one hard ass ride,
    but one that can earn him respect , maybe hes trying to live up to his dad.
    Cut the cord brother...let him ride like the wind.....

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    « Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • I agree with you bro....great learning experience about life.
    My question is he going to ride back after visiting dad ;D
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Offline YO BRO

• BIKES ARE GREAT ! BEER IS GOOD ! AND THE ROAD IS CRAZY !
    • Senior Dude
    • Roaming America Member
    • Your Location: STATEN ISLAND N.Y.
    « Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • No one knows whats in the mind of a 25 yr old. Half the time its sex and the other half its thinking about sex....
    Heck, I dont know whats in my mind half the time..I guess thats the beauty of being retired with one exception, my mind is in my 20s but my body is in my 50s .
    Maybe dad should take the ride back with him...

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments