Author Topic: The BIG 50 !!! Trip  (Read 1043 times)

Offline doguss65

• Roaming America Member
  • Your Location: Nottingham UK
The BIG 50 !!! Trip
« on: August 27, 2014, 02:55:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Right, Next year I will arrive at the milestone of reaching 50 years of age. So to celebrate we're planning a tour of the USA. Trouble is I've no real idea where to start or the pitfalls involved. I've been riding for a fair amount of time and my wife over a year. Done trips around Wales and Scotland. Looked around at various sites and not sure about the guided tours, heard they can be a little full on, looked at the unguided option and things start to get confusing.

Cheers in advance,

Martin

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    Re: The BIG 50 !!! Trip
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:59:34 AM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome and congrats on the up coming 50 Martin!
    If you have never been riding in the USA, then the choice is literally unlimited.:)
    For sure, it depends on your taste of adventure,  but I suggest open the map, look through all the states, draw several lines across the USA, and pick one that fit your taste. Ex.: from East to West on northern route will take you many world best famous places like Grand Tetan, Yellowstone,  Glacier National park, Yosemite,  and so on. Or, a historical route like Route 66, which I suggest not for the first rider on the USA.
    Let us know when and how much time you will spend on this trip. How about what bike will you ride? Hotel or camping?
    Enjoy
    Nick
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline doguss65

• Roaming America Member
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »
  • Publish
  • Many thanks for the reply Nick

hopefully we will be over for 14 days and wanted hotels rather than camping. I've've always wanted to try doing it in style so would have to be a Harley for me. My wife rides but the bike would need to be a lot lighter in weight so not sure what options there are. As far as the route I've always wanted to go to the west coast and do highway 1 I think it is. We're at the early stages of planning so any advice or help is greatly appreciated

many thanks again

Martin

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:32:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • Highway 1 in the west coast is for sure a good one. I suggest you take the south bound, so that will put close the the coast, more view of course.
    Are you going to ship or rent bikes?
    Keep us inform and good luck. :)
    Nick

Offline doguss65

• Roaming America Member
    « Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • thinking the same. Route 1 South. Will be hiring bikes. Ive a Fazer 1000 and Mandy has a 600 Hornet so not really an option. Plus if your gonna do it lets do it right lol  :) I've looked at them over here but it wouldn't be practical as the weather would eat them alive !! So I would love to rent something that'll make me smile for years to come. Its the accommodation that I'm un sure about. Making sure that we get a good mix of riding and rest days / sights. Been searching the web for forums that'll help with the research. Been to the US a couple of times and last time rented a car so OK with the roads / distances, living out of bags for a while will be interesting lol

Where a bouts are you from if you don't mind me asking

Martin

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 04:59:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • I am in south Florida, so it will be the other side of the country. :)

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments