Author Topic: Can I do it alone?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline kaylie

• Roaming America Member
  • Your Location: England
Can I do it alone?
« on: August 15, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi everyone. I'm new to riding and have found its the new love of my life.
    I've just done my first trip around Ireland and I'm keen to start planning the big one. The States! Do you think it's safe for a woman to go alone or are there tours you recommend I go on? I will have about 18 days and want to go on the fun roads not the straight roads. I haven't done any research yet, this is my starting point. I want beautiful scenery  :)
    Any advice welcome
    Kaylie  x

Offline nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    Re: Can I do it alone?
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:16:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome Kaylie,
    There are SO MANY beautiful routes in this BIG country. Each of the route has its own unique beauty, so I think you will be the one who will pick and choose.
    As you've mentioned about the 18 day trip, that mount of time will be a good, not great, trip for most of people. Again, it's also depending on the time of year and which part of the USA.
    I'm really not negative here, but because this is your first trip in the USA, so let us know what time of year will be your plan, and I bet you will get a decent input or suggestion to pick a nice route.
    About female traveling alone, I don't see any a problem at all.
    All the above is just my personal opinion, but you shouldn't pick the "route 66" for your first trip in this beautiful country.  ;D
    Please let us post.
    Nick
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline kaylie

• Roaming America Member
    • Your Location: England
    « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:05:50 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yeah I've heard the route 66 isn't the best. I will most probably be going in August. Thank you for your reply. I'll take note of any advice I get
    Kaylie

Offline nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:33:05 AM »
  • Publish
  • No! Route 66 is a must-see for sure. The reason that I've suggested you not to choose it, because it is not for new rider in the USA and it is not a scenic route, it is a historical route that fills with all the "old time" activities. :)
    August is the hottest month in the USA, so that may eliminate some the routes in the southern that you may not want to ride through, such as I10, I40, Mojave desert.
    BTW, what is your plan on the bike? big, small? Renting or shipping to the USA?
    Nick

I almost forget! If you plan to ride in August, then plan to attend Sturgis Rally in SD. That's one of the best or the best rally that everyone should be there at least once in their lifetime. :)
    Especially, the scenic is fantastic!
    Here is one of my Sturgis photo albums that will give you an idea about this wonderful place.
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    « Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:44:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome to the site Kay..only 18 days here is not enough time:-)I have been here 60 years and haven't come close to all there is to see.We have every thing,what is it you would like to see,mountains,desert,wide open places,natures beauty.
    As Nick asked,what size bike do you plan on riding as traffic moves along pretty quickly around here.
    Are you gonna camp or motel it? You will be alright traveling alone being a woman.There are tours but I have never been on one....might be worth considering tho.
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Offline psoutthere

• Roaming America Member
    • Your Location: UK
    « Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:07:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • I live in the UK. In May, this year, I went to the USA and I bought a second hand Honda Shadow VT1100. I have always wanted to do the 48 mainland states. I rode 28 states, I went from Virginia, riding the Skyline Drive, then down to Florida, across to Louisiana, then worked my way up to Michigan, crossed over into Canada for a few hours then up to Maine then down the Eastern states back to Virginia. I did this in 18 days, approximately 6500 miles, camping, apart from 1 night when I needed to dry my gear. I could have spent 50 years just seeing the sites in one of the larger states but, that is not what I wanted to do. I found most days I took the back roads and other days I wanted to ride the highways, as I didn't have a schedule, I did what I felt like doing at the time. There were places I stopped for a couple of days to catch up with my washing, and on one occasion to get a new back tyre/tire. I found the vast majority of people were very friendly and helpful. I am male in my late 50's but , I can only envisage people being just as friendly with you. If I can help let me know. psoutthere@msn.com

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments