Author Topic: In the market for a new bike for the long road  (Read 720 times)

Offline CanadianSaffer

• Roaming America Member
  • Your Location: Houston, Texas
In the market for a new bike for the long road
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:22:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've been looking to do some big roads - the Dempster, the Cassiar, the PCH - and am looking to start next year ("small" rides between now and then). I had been planning to do it on a BMW GS1200... until my dad wrote it off (and nearly himself) a few weeks ago. Therefore, I'm looking for advice on which beast to get in its place.

I'm a 200lb, 6'2" guy, who has ridden mostly big bikes. I'm looking at doing these roads (many dirt) in 1-2month stages. Therefore, I'm looking for a hard dual-sport 1000-1200cc, with good North American maintenance support. The bikes at the front of my mind are a second-hand BMW GS1200 or GS1150 (the new ones are too expensive!), or a Yamaha Super Tenere. I would love to hear opinions on these bikes, and any others people think I should look at.

Also, if people want to ride with me, there is a lot of space on the open road.

Offline tallernat

• Roaming America Member
    Re: In the market for a new bike for the long road
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »
  • Publish
  • besides the obvious price difference, i have read reviews on these. the Tenere is my bike of choice. not that i own one because i don't. it is the bike i would choose. this year they have additional/new features on the Tenere also. there are also more Yamaha shops the BMW i think.

IMHO.  ;D

oh, and i wanted to add that i road to Glacier last year and at the top in the parking lot we parked and hiked around a bit and when we got back to the bikes there was a Tenere there fully loaded. lucky for us the guy n gal came back while we were still there so we talked to them. he had bought the bike spring(i think) of 2013 in Washington State and road to the east coast and back. she flew out to him once he reached the east coast and they were traveling home when we met them. they both LOVE the bike. said it was super comfortable and handled superbly. even loaded as they were with all the gear and the gal.

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments