Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good general route across the southwest?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
  • TiredLess Rider
Re: Can anyone recommend a good general route across the southwest?
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • No matter what route you take a good rain gear set up will make it a more enjoyable trip...if it rains or gets cold. I went to the eastern parts of Utah,Ogden several times and it snowed in august at the higher elevations.
    So what part of western Utah you going to...I am in Cincinnati so KY is just south of me and maybe I can help with some possible routes...what part of KY are you leaving from? :) I came back from San Francisco in September the southern route to stay warmer so you are making a good choice about heading south.
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Offline bmonroe

• Roaming America Member
    « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • May should be okay in Utah. I'm planning my own trip from Florida the 1st week of June with a goal to hit Sturgis in August on the way back. I also plan to hit all the top 100 rides that I can in each state traveled. Twisted Sister will be my first west of San Antonio Texas. Next stop is New Mexico, Colorado, Utah (great nationa parks there) and resting in Phoenix with son for week. Then, off to Southern California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota. 10,000 miles to Sturgis and I will tent camp as often as possible. Don't know how much time you have for your ride, but wouldn't mind some company for a while on trip if your interested.

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    « Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:02:39 PM »
  • Publish
  •  8)  What a trip BMONROE and  :hi:
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    « Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 05:57:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • May should be okay in Utah. I'm planning my own trip from Florida the 1st week of June with a goal to hit Sturgis in August on the way back. I also plan to hit all the top 100 rides that I can in each state traveled. Twisted Sister will be my first west of San Antonio Texas. Next stop is New Mexico, Colorado, Utah (great nationa parks there) and resting in Phoenix with son for week. Then, off to Southern California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota. 10,000 miles to Sturgis and I will tent camp as often as possible. Don't know how much time you have for your ride, but wouldn't mind some company for a while on trip if your interested.
    Welcome from Sunshine state, too. :)
    I wish I have that much time like yours, but I will leave FL in early July to CA via North route, then come back to Sturgis on the way back.
    I hope I can pull my new trailer and camp all the way.  Who knows, I can see you on the way home from CA to Sturgis, or from Sturgis back to FL.
    Nick
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline tallernat

• Roaming America Member
    « Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 11:39:34 AM »
  • Publish
  • I'm trying to plan my first trip out west. I'll be starting in Kentucky in the early part of May. The original plan was to ride to the western side of Utah, but I've been made aware that it might still be pretty cold in May. I'm thinking of taking a more southern route now maybe to Arizona? Does anyone have any advice for a good route or destinations for that time of year. I plan on camping the entire way and taking about 2 weeks. Thanks!

Rain is probably more of an issue on the east side of the U.S. in the spring then the west part of the U.S. May would be the best time to see the desert places like Zion, Grand Canyon, etc. the west coast as well. i wouldn't let Rain stop you tho. there are awesome places wherever you go in the U.S. if you could take your time and zig zag the U.S. then i am sure we all could suggest some awesome places.

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments