Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good general route across the southwest?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline MutronIII

• Roaming America Member
I'm trying to plan my first trip out west. I'll be starting in Kentucky in the early part of May. The original plan was to ride to the western side of Utah, but I've been made aware that it might still be pretty cold in May. I'm thinking of taking a more southern route now maybe to Arizona? Does anyone have any advice for a good route or destinations for that time of year. I plan on camping the entire way and taking about 2 weeks. Thanks!

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
  • TiredLess Rider
  • Your Location: S. Florida
Re: Can anyone recommend a good general route across the southwest?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome to the group!
    It will be more helpful if you can provide more information about the trip plan. Hunting, exploring or just want to get there kind of trip. :)
    Yes, Utah still have snow some places in may. Disregard of what you are looking for on the road, taking deep south route will keep you warm, but there is always a chance you will run into rain.
    Two weeks of riding and camping is sound wonderful to me.  There are so many places to see, but you need to let us know the purpose of the trip.
    No matter what, keep us post!
    Nick
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline MutronIII

• Roaming America Member
    « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:50:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for your response! Regarding the purpose of trip, it's really just to enjoy the ride and see parts of the country I've never seen before. I'm looking for great scenery and maybe fun roads. It's really just about enjoying the ride and camping. Rain is something I've been worried about. Is there a time to go when rain is less of a worry? I've been planning on May because that is what work best for my work schedule but maybe I should be thinking some other time.

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 11:13:52 AM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome MutronIII to the site. I have an idea for your trip but don't have time right now to go into it. :)
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 03:15:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for your response! Regarding the purpose of trip, it's really just to enjoy the ride and see parts of the country I've never seen before. I'm looking for great scenery and maybe fun roads. It's really just about enjoying the ride and camping. Rain is something I've been worried about. Is there a time to go when rain is less of a worry? I've been planning on May because that is what work best for my work schedule but maybe I should be thinking some other time.
    Rain is just a normal thing that you will run into eventually. :)
    Some years, I didn't get any, but I could be riding in the rain all day, regardless the time of year. ;D
    A good rain suit, preferably 2 piece, is essentially for a long trip and a good tent for sure.
    Again, I prefer June, but late May may be perfect. I have only one choice to cross the country, either  in July or August, which is two of the hottest months of the year.
    It is more enjoyable if you don't know what may come to you.
    Actually, using the "weather bug" app on my smart phone is the best way that I can avoid rain or when to put on the rain suit.
    Prepare and enjoy the ride!
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline MutronIII

• Roaming America Member
    « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:48:03 AM »
  • Publish
  • Great advice. Thanks!

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments