Author Topic: First time in the USA, first time crossing it coast to coast!  (Read 2122 times)

Offline pierrot

• Roaming America Member
Hi fellow riders,

I'll be flying to New York just one month from now, on May 1st and plan to ride across the USA to catch my plane on May 26th in LAX.

Landmarks I plan to see on the way : Niagara Falls, Chicago, Pierre, SD (just because it's almost on the way and you don't see everyday a state capital by your name : I'll probably just stay enough time to take a picture with a sign that says "Pierre" :) ), Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone Park, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon if there's enough time, and Los Angeles.

It'll be the first time I do something this big, I've occasionnaly ridden long distances but never for such a long time. I welcome any advice, first and foremost about how to actually get the bike I'll be riding. The easiest option would be renting, but it's awfully expensive : eaglerider wants 4 grand to let me ride one of their HD for three weeks, not even including a damage waiver... The only (moderately) cheaper bike they have is a Ninja 250, and for a 4000 miles trip I feel I might as well be riding a tricycle.

The story of this guy has been inspirational : http://www.motogeo.com/coast-to-coast-on-a-200-motorcycle/ . But I'm not as adventurous as he is, I'll allow myself more time, a more expensive bike, and more underwear and showers :).

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions!

Pierre

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
  • TiredLess Rider
  • Your Location: S. Florida
Re: First time in the USA, first time crossing it coast to coast!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome Pierre,
    Damn! That will be a memorable trip you have there.  Even tho, I am living in this wonderful country and I have been crossing this land so many years, but I've never covered many beautiful and magnificent places as your plan.
    I can't say much about rental bike, as it depends on personal reference, but riding a Harley on the American roads is just a dream for most motorcyclists.
    A few basic things that you may need to take into consideration. Based on the time of year and the locations of the route, you should bring with you both, warm riding gears and rain suit, including waterproof boot and gloves.
    You didn't mention how long is your trip, so I don't know how you will do it.  Will you camp or hotel?

Follow your dream my friend.  You will have something to tell to all friends for a long, long time, of what you have done.
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline jacksonhd

• Roaming America Member
    « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:02:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • Wow, what a trip! :-)

Wish I could help you with finding a reasonably priced rental. Very hard to find here.

As noted by others, riding a Harley would be the best way to explore the US. You can often find a nice used 883 Sportster for $4000-5000, and you could sell it when you get to LA. I'm afraid, though, that the paperwork and lack of a permanent physical address might make this not doable in your time-frame.

It's almost impossible to see much of LA in just a couple of days, but if you really want to get a taste of it I suggest a couple of less-typical destinations:

The Rock Store in the Malibu mountains, a motorcycle hangout for at least 50 years. You'll see every type of bike there and every type of rider. Every Saturday and Sunday.

The original Tommy's Hamburgers at Beverly and Rampart Blvds. Brings to mind the line in the Chuck Berry song, "...where hamburgers sizzle on and open grill night and day...."

Best of luck on your trip. What an adventure!

Jack the Machinist
    - If your motorcycle isn't fast enough to scare you, we can fix that. -

Offline pierrot

• Roaming America Member
    « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for the welcome and tips!

I'm still not sure how I'll find my ride, I'll try to buy and if it doesn't work out I'll resort to renting... I can spend the first two or three days on the subject.

The date is getting really close now, I just can't wait!

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for the welcome and tips!

I'm still not sure how I'll find my ride, I'll try to buy and if it doesn't work out I'll resort to renting... I can spend the first two or three days on the subject.

The date is getting really close now, I just can't wait!
    I hope you will have a chance to explore this wonderful country.
    Let us know!
    Nick
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments