Author Topic: legal stuff for a foreigner  (Read 1343 times)

Offline brizz

• brizz
  • Roaming America Member
legal stuff for a foreigner
« on: October 27, 2011, 05:46:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi 
    I hail from the UK, o-:-h
    I am planning a  lifelong dream of riding route 66 plus touring other parts of the USA at the same time,at present I am saving money to do it so it wont be for at least 5 years,(unless i win the lottery,damn this recession),hopefully you guys will help me,thing is i want to buy the bike in the U.S ride it,(ideally i'd like to chop it on the way) and ship it back to the UK.
    what i'd like to know is what are the legal requirements for me to ride a purchased m/c in the U.S,re insurance,roadworthiness,licence etc..
    all help greatly appreciated
    cheers
    brizz O0

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    Re: legal stuff for a foreigner
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:23:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome Brizz!
    As far as I know, you should be fine with your UK driver license, if you also have the motorcycle endorsement.
    A few members have come from out of the USA, such as Australia, bought a bike, crossed the USA, and shipped back to their countries, without any problem.
    In addition, you may have to register for an international driver license, but I am not sure that it's even required.
    Route 66!  That's my plan for next year.  That should be a lifetime trip. 8)
    How much do you have to save, and how long is your vacation?
    Keep us post.  I hope someone will give you more details.
    Good luck
    Nick
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline brizz

• brizz
    • Roaming America Member
    « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:33:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • hi nick
    thanx for the quick reply,dont know how long the trip will be,i'm looking at about a month,we'll not be making the trip for another five years yet,as i have a few debts i need to shift and have to save a good few thousand pounds for the bike/insurance etc and trip plus flights etc,also i need to plan routes etc so we can make as much of the time stateside as possible,so all suggestions/invites of stop offers/good cheap places to stop are welcome  (i'd like to catch some good music) to add to the plan.i'll be looking to pick up an old xs650 or a big old jap multi,but anything interesting will do,i'm happy to ride pretty much anything to do the trip on,i have no problem fixing  bikes by the roadside (some people think i'm mad,but given the choice of an adventure over reliability i'll choose adventure ever time) as all my life i have run bikes on a shoestring budget...and i've met some great people and had some good times on the way...long may it continue..
    cheers
    brizz

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 10:14:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome to the site Brizz ><
    If you only have a month and wanna see the USA..do not ride an XS650. A multi would be ok if you find one in tip top shape.If something happens to the bike on an older model you will have problems finding parts plus waiting for then and then finding somebody to do the work since you don't have a shop to work out of.Personnaly if I were to ride on a one time trip I would look into a Goldwing or a Venture for their relability and a strong loyal network of riders around the country who would help you along the way.Would hate to see stuck in Alpine TX for two weeks waiting on parts. This is a big country with lots of different weather conditions along the way so cold to hot and wet to dry all in one day :)
    Just a thought or two.
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments