Author Topic: 12,000 mile trip just completed.  (Read 4950 times)

Offline schimpf

• Senior Dude
12,000 mile trip just completed.
« on: July 27, 2011, 01:05:59 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi forum members

Just completed my 3 month tour around the USA clocking up just under 12,000 miles.  What an experience!!!!!

Bought a Goldwing in San Diego in April and rode it across the the south using route 8, 10, 90, 10, 98, & 41 all the way to Key West, Florida.  Then north via the Blue Ridge Parkway to Penn, then west on Route 50 to Denver, north to Rapid City (South Dakota), Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, California arriving in LA in July.  Shipping the bike back to NZ at the moment.

I stayed at a mixture of accommodations:  Motorcycle Travel Network members being the best there is, as well as friends & family along the way and a smatering of hostels, campgrounds, and motels.

While I agree the Goldwings are bloody heavy (I tipped it over twice) you can't fault them for comfort and reliability.  Other than a blowout in Jacksonville and tyres/oil change along the way, little happened to shake my confidence or dampen my holiday.

So thanks to those contributing to this site whose advice I sought, used and appreciated.  Happy to provide others any I can in return.

Who says you can't is way off the mark.  You can and should!!!

Rick Schimpf from New Zealand

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    Re: 12,000 mile trip just completed.
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 03:09:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • That sounds just great.Make sure you post pics and a few stories after you have rested up.If you took RT50 west you were pretty close to me here in Cincinnati Ohio.
    Being from New Zeland did you have any real troubles finding your way around,people pretty friendly?
    I hope it was all you were hoping for :)

8) Thanks for letting us know.
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Offline schimpf

• Senior Dude
    « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:54:50 AM »
  • Publish
  • I have attached a few pictures of the trip.

Rick Schimpf

Offline ezrider444

• Roaming America Member
    « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Awesome!! Has anyone ridden across the country in the winter months? That is the only time I can right now not sure if I should or not..

Offline schimpf

• Senior Dude
    « Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:05:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • It was now been four months since completing the above trip.  Finally got around to combining e-mail updates of the trip into one document.  Have attached it here for your info.

Sadly, still awaiting my Goldwing to arrive in New Zealand.  Shipper quoted 6-7 weeks and it has now been 16.  Offered a discount, but still haven't got the bike.

It has recently arrived in country and awaiting on customs clearance.

Rick Schimpf

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    « Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:32:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • It was now been four months since completing the above trip.  Finally got around to combining e-mail updates of the trip into one document.  Have attached it here for your info.

Sadly, still awaiting my Goldwing to arrive in New Zealand.  Shipper quoted 6-7 weeks and it has now been 16.  Offered a discount, but still haven't got the bike.

It has recently arrived in country and awaiting on customs clearance.

Rick Schimpf

Thanks Rick!
    I am still regret that I couldn't see you at the Thunder Beach.
    God will!  We still have a lot of time.
    BTW.  It will be easier for some people to read your report, if you can submit it to the TRIP STORIES page.
    What a trip!
    Thanks much for your contribution
    Nick
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments