Author Topic: Very Basic Information  (Read 3577 times)

Offline aj

Very Basic Information
« on: January 15, 2011, 08:24:59 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi, I am new to this and am on a bit of a fact finding mission. I live in England and would love to spend some time riding from west to east coast of USA. I hope this will not just be a pipe dream but need some basic information to get started, this seemed like a good place to ask!

1. How long does it take? I can work out the miles but realistically how much time do i need?
    2. How much does it cost? I know this will vary but from someone who's dont it what is a ballpark figure
    3. Hire a bike in the USA or ship one from England? Any enormous pros or cons that I might not have though of!
    4. How suitable will a USA hired bike be? Would I have loads of choice? What bikes are reccommended?
    5. Will there be any problems with me having a UK licnece?

ANY help would be appriciated! Want to make this dream come true

aj

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    Re: Very Basic Information
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi AJ!  Welcome to the group.:)
    It is a "real" dream, but it depends on a few factors.  Before you set up a plan, you need to know what you have in your hands.  How much time, money, just you, or two ride-up.
    Renting a bike is easy in the US, the price is varied, so yo have to shop around.  Of course, you know can easily find out the price on line.
    Here is a few common info based on my personal experience, but then it depends on what route, speed, and time that you want to spend.
    • If you ride around 600 miles a day, you can cross the USA from west to east, or east to west within 6 days.
    • It depends on what kind of bike that you will rent, and at the current gas price ($3.20 USD), hotel (if you don't want to camp), then you will probably spend around $2000 USD, plus the bike rental, for one way trip.
    Here you go!
    I suggest you should rent a Japanese bike, the rental price is lower than a Harley!  But that is your choice.
    If you can provide more info about what you have, then we can give you more suggestions.
    You can make your dream come true!:)
    Nomad
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline aj

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:24:51 AM »
  • Publish
  • That is very useful!

Im a teacher in England so from July - August I have a 6 week summer holiday availble. This would give me the opportunity to do this more slowly or a longer route, seems like plenty of time now you have said 6 days! Money will just depend on which summer holiday I do this in (thinking 2012 or 2013 as Im off to Europe this time).

In the UK I ride a Suzuki Bandit (GSF) I very much doubt I would be on a Harley or other cruiser. Something Japanese is the obvious choice for me. I would need something low and light though - Im 5' 4in (162cm) !

Definitely wouldnt be 2s up. Would either be me and another bike - if I can convince him, or just me. Any thoughts about a girl doing this alone?

Thanks,
    aj

Online nomad

• RaU Pioneer
    • TiredLess Rider
    • Your Location: S. Florida
    « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:26:56 AM »
  • Publish
  • It's just me, but I don't see anything wrong if a female crossing the USA alone. But I guess, it would be more enjoyable, if you have a companion.:)
    I have been crossing the USA alone forever; at least in the last 15 years.  Sometimes, I feel lonely, but there is always something that I can explain about the enjoyment of being alone on the American road. ::)  Freedom? Adventurous feeling? Maybe, I don't know, but it always feels so good!
    When time is close, let us know if you need any help.  Of course, the earlier of preparation will be the better!:)
    Good luck!
    Nomad
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    « Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 04:50:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • AJ..welcome.
    The USA is pretty large with a wide variety of country..deserts,wide open nothingness,mountains, gorges,waterfalls,big cities which I say away from. Do you have any types of scenery you would like to see.We have a lot of parks in the west..

You could do a You Tube search and find some areas you would like to travel to..we have a bit of everything.
    Bike wise,at least a 750 to a 1200.That will be up to what size you might like.What  they rent and I can't really help ya there..yet.
    Female by yourself,geeeze,especially if ya camp,people will be all over you asking questions,trying to feed ya :)Around big cities I have always like to stay at a motel,good shower,warm bed,tv etc.
    Time? I have been travelling across this country for over 50 years and still have a list longer than my arm. ;D
    UK licence? I don't have a clue.
    As you narrow your search down as to what ya want to do,cities or what ever we will try to help ya out.

We have it all...

1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Offline Steppenwolf

• General Moderator
    • TiredLess Rider
    « Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:36:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • So far as your UK License and insurance I have the word out so hopefully I will be able to give you an answer.
    1980 Yamaha XS 1100 SG

Riding Across USA on Facebook

Please "like us". Thanks!

RaU's Sponsors

Facebook Comments